Monday, February 15, 2010

Perfect Day(s)


There's a lot out there in the wedding world about making your wedding "perfect." Every other day I get an email from the Knot (so I subscribed to them, so they fill my inbox with somewhat inane emails about hairdos, so what?) about potential wedding mishaps and wedding insurance and what to do if such and such a thing happens. And a lot of my wedding conversations with people include the advice, "You know, you really should do [blank], otherwise [blank] will happen."

But the thing is, I'm not really interested in having a perfect day. I mean, ok, I would obviously like our wedding day to go smoothly, but I sort of expect some things to fall apart or go a bit bumpy or be sort of awkward. And that's ok.

A few years ago, I was down in Florida with my family for my grandpa's funeral. And my grandmother, a strong woman in her own right, was holding it together pretty well, but as we were driving to the cemetery, dark clouds started gathering overhead.

"I just really, really hope it doesn't rain," she said, looking out the window.

To be honest, I was hoping, too--there's nothing quite like a rainy day funeral. But instead I took her hand and said, "So what if it rains? What's going to happen? It's just rain, right? And we're all together." And she smiled at me and said, "Yeah, you're right."

And honestly? That's pretty much how I feel about the wedding day. Not to be flip about it, but if mishaps happen, mishaps happen, and if I'm with my friends and my family, and they're all healthy, happy, and surrounding me as I marry the man of my dreams, I'll be pretty ok if the appetizers are cold, you know what I mean?


*Image from the wonder that is Cake Wrecks. Because every disastrous cake has a silver lining. And that silver lining is being famous on a blog devoted to silly cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment